Life Shouldn't Be A Fuckin' Grind

I will never be a poker pro, but my lifetime poker ledger is positive and I think that's something to be proud of.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Coming to Grips...

Little by little I think I'm starting to come to grips with the fact that I may never be a pro poker player. I'm good, but maybe not great and I don't know that I have the temperment, patience and will to put up with the swings of playing for a living. If I can find something to do with my life that I will enjoy and make the contributions to society that I know I should be making that would be great. If I can be a winning poker player on the side and have fun at the same time, that'd be awesome. Before I die, I WILL play in the WSOP ME. I WILL in fact play in more than one major poker tournament in my life. But, will I ever make my living playing poker? Probably not. I will never say never and I'm not giving up the dream completely, but right now I think it's counterproductive for me to constantly be thinking about it and striving for it.

I will continue to play poker as much as I can and want to, I will continue to constantly try to improve my game. I will continue to study the game and attempt to become as well-rounded of a player as I can be. Maybe someday when I'm least expecting it I'll be making more from poker than I am from a job and I'll decide to try out going full-time for a while. Maybe that will never happen...for now I'm not gonna worry about it. I'm gonna take the pressure off myself completely.


*****
Report from Tonight -
I played a lot of tournaments tonight, didn't cash in a single one. Got stuck $281 in tournament buy-ins, which is a pretty big number for me considering my bankroll was in the neighborhood of $3k coming into the night. I don't feel that bad about it though, poker works that way sometimes. I played a few hands of SH LHE and won a little bit, I also took about 80 hands off the 1k that I need in the next week to clear a $100 Party bonus. Yes, I'm back to clearing Party bonuses. I needed to reload my account anyway using some of the money I'd been keeping offline, so I may as well get a bonus out of it.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:18 AM, Blogger Jordan said…

    play nlhe.

    it's a great way to build a small bankroll.

    honestly, i think grinding low limit hold em' is just tough. you have to be good and get enough hands in to really bounce through those limits. Look at pokerplayer24 on FCP. That kid plays thousands of hands a day and valted thru the limits..but why? cuz he is solid, but also plays an insane amount of hands...

    idk, if lhe isn't working for you, get to the NLHE tables. honestly, you can make 10 buy ins a week or more if you just put in the time and effort.

    --

    on another note...good blog, and good thoughts...just do what you gotta do man.

    - Jordan

     
  • At 5:40 AM, Blogger TheCinciKid said…

    You're right about grinding low limit hold'em being very tough. Maybe a nearly impossible way to build a roll quickly.

    Problem is, I've only ever dabbled in NL cash games and I'm not sure whether I'm any good at them or not, but I'd suspect I'm barely above average at best. Any suggestions on books I should read or things I should do before starting out playing a ton of NL cash? I'm very seriously considering your suggestion, just not quite sure if I can hack it at NL cash.

    FWIW, I have the BR to play $100 NL probably. I have 20 buy-ins and would still have a bit more than $1k to play tournaments with. Dunno if I should be playing $100NL though or starting out at $50, which I'm definitely over-rolled for, but may have a an easier time learning to play the game well.

     
  • At 9:03 PM, Blogger Jordan said…

    if you want, hit me up on AIM: JordanScottatxu, and i'll give you my thoughts.

    - Jordan

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

mesothelioma