Life Shouldn't Be A Fuckin' Grind

I will never be a poker pro, but my lifetime poker ledger is positive and I think that's something to be proud of.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Bleh

I haven't played much poker in the last week or so, but what I have played has gone about average. I've played a little bit of 2/4 6-max and done pretty well. There's obviously a major difference between my success in that game and my lack of success at 3/6. My VPIP is higher at 2/4 and I'm both stealing and defending blinds more often. It may seem odd, but this has somehow led to a great deal more success. I have 5800 hands of 2/4 and 8600 of 3/6 so it's not like I can just chalk it up to variance either. I think that the level of play is significantly better at 3/6 and I probably didn't do a great job of adapting my style of play. I really want to find a way to beat that game though. If I could beat 5/10 or 10/20 for the same rate I've beaten 2/4 for I'd be making a fortune, but I digress. Any tips would certainly be welcome though.

In tournaments and SnGs I've probably lost some money, and I've also already broken one of my June resolutions. I haven't kept SnG and Tourney records at all. I plan to buy a bigass day planner of some kind tomorrow and keep records in there. I actually think that will be easier for me than trying to keep it in a computer file and I've been trying to do for the last month or so and failing miserably. I'm still doing pretty well in MTTs though and that's some good news. I got screwed in a Pokerstars $20+2 180 man SnG when my KK went up against TT and AQ and the TT hit a set. I would have had over 6k in the early going if I won that hand, instead I found myself with about 1500 left. Couldn't get anything going from there, so I ended up busting out of two of those tonight. I did make a sort of Final Table tonight, going out 9th in the FullTilt $20+2 11:59 pm tourney. With 10 left I was shortstacked and on the button 5-handed with A3o. I open pushed and the SB chipleader called me with A8s, fortunately for me, the BB had less chips than I did and came along with J7o. SB made Aces and 8's on the turn and I made Aces and 3's on the river to bust out in 9th. Silver lining is that I got quite a bit more for 9th than I would have for 10th. I just wish I could make it to the final 3 in one of these things again though. That's where the real money is and I seem to be coming up just short ALOT lately. Oh well, if I keep getting deep I'm bound to win one eventually.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey kid,
    i bust your balls alot, but today i'm going to offer some advice. you need to focus your attention on one thing. you don't do anything well enough yet to be branching off in all diferent directions like nl, sng's, mtts... you seem to have some success at 2-4 limit. stick with that for a long time. try the 3-6 if u want to ,but your ego needs to win consistently and this is the only game you beat. you'll feel alot bettter about yourself and your play which will make you play even better. so stop trying for the big score with the mtts. you won't regret it.

     
  • At 5:56 AM, Blogger TheCinciKid said…

    This is actually a decent piece of advice. I can't give up on MTT's completely because I love playing them and I definitely think that I have the ability to play them well. However, I probably ought to get more focus. I do seem to have a very difficult time sticking to and focusing on one game or style for any extended period of time.

     
  • At 3:45 AM, Blogger Jordan said…

    Hey cinci, i responded at your above post. I dont know who this poster is, his last comment was pretty hard pointed..although it had some valid points.

    In this post I agree that you need to focus in one being succesful more at one aspect of your game, and then branching off.

    My goal for June was to make 4k - 6k in my side game play, and 4k - 6k in tourney play. Right now, that's not looking to happen (tournament goal) because I'm so focused on cash play. If I was as focused on tournament play to cash play, I'd probably be doing great in tourneys (if i luck box enough) and so-so in cash games.

    I personally believe in having a solid br before going to a stricter MTT schedule..but you should do what you enjoy more and have the bests results from.

    If need be, play for a week and set aside rakeback + some profit for MTT. Withdraw that stuff and then at the end of the month make that your 'mtt' br or something.

    Just a thought..otherwise, just be sure you are profiting enough to validate dropping money on MTTs.

    gl

    - Jordan

     
  • At 6:09 AM, Blogger TheCinciKid said…

    Thanks for the comments Jordan.

    I actually quite some time ago set up two separate bankrolls, 1 for tournament play and one for cash game play. Ironically enough, my cash game roll is struggling because of lack of success at 3/6 6 and lack of ability to limit myself to only cash games on Party Poker. While by contrast, my Tourney roll is stronger than it's ever been because I've been going deep a lot and had two solid scores in May. One of $600+ for 6th in the FullTilt 17k and one of $700 for 2nd in a Stars 180-man SnG.

    At any rate, if I can force myself to stick to playing only limit cash games with my cash game roll and I can keep better records and keep them separate. And, while I do need to focus better, I can't stop playing tournaments altogether for a while, because I need variety.

     
  • At 4:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, my sng progress has gone way down. My roi in my first 110 was like 40%. the last 150 has been 10%. new to your blog, but i'll check it more often. especially when i cant sleep at 3:30 in the morning.

    gl

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

mesothelioma