Life Shouldn't Be A Fuckin' Grind

I will never be a poker pro, but my lifetime poker ledger is positive and I think that's something to be proud of.

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Maximizing winrate and expectation

One thing I've been thinking about a lot over the past few days is how best to maximize expectation and winrate. I've started to find that I have my best 2/4 sessions when I'm playing only 2 tables at a time. Now, I don't quite understand why there is such a jump for me from 2 to 3, but my biggest losing sessions have all come playing 3 0r more tables or 2/4. Obviously, the more tables, the more variance, but I also think there is an element of not always making the optimal decision when I have too many tables going at once. I'd obviously like to get to the point where I can play 3 or more tables of 2/4 effectively, since the more hands I can get in, the more I can make per hour, but right now I've estimated that I can get in about 120 hands per hour 2-tabling, so I think I'm going to stick to that for a while and see how it goes. I may move back up to 3 at some point down the road, but I don't see that day being very soon. Now, my ADD or whatever you want to call it won't let me play on just 2 tables at a time, so I've taken to playing a MTT and/or a SnG at the same time, sometimes 2 SnG's or 2 MTT's, for as many as 4 total tables and sometimes only one if I'm chatting on AIM or doing other things. I think this balance has me focusing optimally and generally playing my best.

In other news, I made my 4th career FullTilt final table tonight in the 9 pm $10+1 Tourney. I found AA 3 times in the early going to start building a stack and from there I nursed a medium to shortstack most of the way. I had one hand that hurt me near the bubble when I got another player all-in with my AK against his AQ and he hit a Q. But, I bounced back from that and had an important suckout of my own in the money. I was shortstacked and really needed to make a move so I pushed from EP with 78o and the BB called me with A9o, I hit an 8 and he didn't improve, which kept me alive quite nicely. I worked my way to the final table, and was about 6th in chips, but still fairly short. The final table pay structure was very steep, with 9th getting $98 or so and 1st getting over $1200, so I knew that playing to move up in money was less important than playing to build a stack. At any rate, a couple of hands into the FT I raised in MP with 88 and the chipleader put me all-in, I called and he showed AK, the flop blanked, but the turn was a K and my stay at the final table was shortlived. Still, I'm pretty happy with my play and I got $87 in profit for my efforts, so I certainly can't complain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

mesothelioma