Life Shouldn't Be A Fuckin' Grind

I will never be a poker pro, but my lifetime poker ledger is positive and I think that's something to be proud of.

Sunday, December 18, 2005

He called me with King high !!

Friday night I played a home game with my old group of friends from Student Government in colllege. It was great to see some people I hadn't seen in a while. I played well and picked up some hands early and got off to a really good starting, doubling my stack in about the first 20 minutes or so. I then proceeded to basically hang on for the rest of the game. There were 6 who started and I had a little over 1/3 of the chips in play by the time there were 4 left. I had one interesting hand where I raised with QsTs and they guy on my left (the only player at the table I was afraid) went all-in. I counted it up and I was getting something in the neighborhood of 1.5-1 to call and it wasn't going to put a huge dent in my stack if I lost. He'd gotten me to fold a pair of 6's earlier when he went all-in and he showed me A3s that time, so I knew his range was pretty wide and I figured I probably wasn't in terrible shape with QTs so I called. He flipped over 8's and we were off the races. I picked up a Q on the flop eliminated him, so I felt pretty good about that hand. I'm not sure it was a great call, but it turned out to be the right one. The thing is, this guy beats me most of the time we play and his biggest strength is that he's a bully at the table. I simply felt like I couldn't let him bully me.

I eliminated the other player and went heads-up with a pretty large chiplead, when I proceeded to stub my toe a little. I can't remember all the details, but I pushed all-in with QT on a flop of J9x and my opponent called off 11k chips with KT. The turn and river were blanks and he beat me with K-high. I felt like his call was completely donkish and utterly inexplicable seeing as how he's normally a decent player. I had him covered, but that crippled me and had me steaming for about 15 minutes. I managed to claw my way back to even, mostly thanks to a pretty bad call when I was pretty shortstacked and pushed all-in with 97 on a board of J9x. He called with A-high and doubled me up, which I felt was again inexplicable. At that point I'd regained a small chiplead and I raised pre-flop with AK, he re-raised and I immediately pushed. He called with KT and I was a huge favorite to win. To add suspense the first card off on the flop was a ten, but I hit an Ace on the turn and it was all over.

Overall I felt like I played pretty well and padded my bankroll a little bit, so I was happy with my performance. The only other poker I've played this weekend was a $10 SnG on UB which I finished 2nd in. I think I made a mistake heads-up though, so I'm pretty sure my heads-up game could use work. I also played a little tonight, with a $5 SnG on FullTilt which I busted out of when I got all-in with QQ against 44 and my opponent hit a 4 on the river (surprise, surprise). I did make my money back and a little more in like 10 hands on a .25/.50 table though. I swear that .25/.50 is the softest limit game I've ever seen. Finally, I tried out Royal Hold'em on UB tonight. I think that game is rather retarded and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to play it anymore. I donked off a couple bucks, but not much.

Hopefully next post I'll have more 2/4 success to write about.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i linked up to your blog through FCP. Its a good blog to read- lots of interesting hands. Just a bit of advice if you're big on 2/4: go play on bodog. You are seriously losing money by not playing 2/4 on bodog. They also give you an instant, bottomless bonus of 10%. The more you deposit, the more they give you. Real soft limit and low-limit NL hold em games. Check it out. my referal # is P1EF159 if you don't mind. anyway, see you on FCP. good luck,

    brad

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

mesothelioma