Life Shouldn't Be A Fuckin' Grind

I will never be a poker pro, but my lifetime poker ledger is positive and I think that's something to be proud of.

Friday, August 25, 2006

I Never Thought it Would Happen to Me

I used to read posts all the time on FCP and other places talking about how sick the variance was in poker and in shorthanded games in particular. I never really thought much of it. I ran decently, I had bad days, but never anything too ridiculous and never for a protracted period of time. I never realized that I wasn't bulletproof. I never thought that I'd hit that massive downswing like you read about. I never thought it would happen to me...until it did.

This month I've played a little over 3400 hands of 2/4 6-max limit hold'em. For the first 1000 I broke even. I started out stuck then, got back to even with a couple good sessions and I distinctly remember looking back and seeing that I'd broken even and thinking that wasn't bad. Then things went to hell. In my last 2400 hands I've lost 210 BB ($840), a little of that is probably due to tilt and the occasional misplay, but even when you're running good and winning you're gonna misplay some hands. The bottom line is that I've run like absolute shit for the last 2400+ hands, which has spanned about 2 weeks or so. This has put a major dent in my Party Poker account and my overall bankroll. I'd never really realized until now how important it is to have that 400-500 BB roll to play 6-max games, but now I'm finally starting to get it. If it hadn't been for the $375 or so I won by finishing 10th in the $40k at the beginning of the month I'd be almost broke on Party Poker right now.

As it is, I think I may drop down and try to ride it out until I start winning consistently again. It's not that I don't have the bankroll...if I add up all the money I have on various sites and in my savings account (which is a part of my roll which I took offline a couple months ago) I still have enough to be properly rolled for 2/4, especially considering that I can't expect to run this bad for too much longer. Still though, I think the money is starting to affect me a bit and I may want to drop down until I book a couple good solid winning sessions in a row. After that I can move back up with confidence. And to anyone who still thinks you won't hit a terrible downswing, remember it can and will happen to you at some point.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    face it. you will never win at poker. you are the fish that good players wait for. you cant dispute the fact that you are really not a winning player. you are break even at best. are't you suppose to be playing 10/20 soon? lol. you will never graduate from 2-4. you're a jopke.

     
  • At 3:27 AM, Blogger TheCinciKid said…

    Anonymous,
    I don't know who you are or why you bother, but I'm tired of your negativity. I don't need it on my blog. I write this for myself more than for anyone else. From now on I'm deleting any negative comments you make, I'm flat out tired of it.

     
  • At 8:39 AM, Blogger double1meup said…

    Don't sweat it Cinci. I read all of your entries and really enjoy your blog man. I was also one of the naive people who thought that I couldn't ever go into a big downswing but I went through one a couple months ago and I'm currently in one.

    I'm sure you can snap out of it. Just try not let it bother you.


    ---double---

     
  • At 6:08 AM, Blogger TheCinciKid said…

    Thanks for the comment double. I'd noticed that you had a link to my blog on yours. Glad to know someone besides my anonymous flamer reads my posts. I've actually disabled anonymous posting b/c I got so sick of him.

    Anyway, I'd link my blog to yours and other FCPers if I knew how. If you wish to enlighten me feel free.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

mesothelioma